09 Jan Successful Resolution Tips
It’s January 2018! Do you know what that means? Yep…New Year’s resolutions! You don’t have to roll your eyes. Chances are you have participated at some point in this yearly tradition.
Let’s face it, most people want to see improvements in their lives whether it is in their health, finances, career, or relationships. This time of year symbolizes a new start…a new chance to be, do or have what we desire.
Sadly, the statistics for success are not too impressive. Only 12% will experience the taste of victory and one third of resolutions don’t make it past the end of January.
You don’t have to give up before you start. We’re here to help!
Check out our 10 Tips for Successful Resolutions!
- Choose wisely. Before you decide on your new year resolutions, consider what you want to change or improve in your life. Then, choose the improvement that means the most to you.
- Be realistic. Consider focusing on one resolution you believe is attainable. Once you achieve it, you can always add another goal mid-year.
- Have a healthy perspective. How you see your resolution affects how you feel about it. If you desire to lose weight, instead of looking at what you cannot have, focus on what you can and then feed your body what it needs to function optimally.
- Plan your strategy. When you know what you want, create a list of what you can do to get there. Schedule what you can. When we write things down or add them to our calendar, we are more likely to achieve them.
- Make wise choices. You know what you want, so make the choices that will help you get there.
- Focus on healthy habits. When we want to see improvements in our lives, it often involves a bad habit. Instead of focusing on changing the bad habit, focus on creating a healthy habit.
- Be positive! There is a good chance you will be met with challenges along the way. The more positive you are, the easier and quicker you can overcome them.
- Be easy on yourself. You may not follow your plan perfectly. That’s OKAY. Simply start fresh the next day. Keep in mind that you are moving forward even if some days don’t appear as such.
- Don’t give up. Remember, this is a new YEAR not a new WEEK resolution. Understand that some improvements may take time. You can make adjustments along the way if necessary.
- Have fun! It is easier to achieve your goals when they involve some fun. If you are discovering new healthy recipes, invite a friend to join you.
We knew you would ask about motivation, so check this out…
How to Stay Motivated
- Know your “why”. When you know the deep-down reason you are doing something, it can be what keeps you moving forward. Take some time to reflect upon why you selected your specific resolution. It is important that you write it down and read it often.
- Document your successes no matter how small. Seeing progress is the greatest motivation.
- Share with a friend. Supportive, encouraging people can make a difference in your success. We all benefit from having a personal cheerleader or two or three…
- Select an accountability partner. You may not always want someone to keep you accountable, but if you have a strong desire for something, this person can keep you moving forward.
- Reward yourself. Of course, it’s important to be mindful of the reward you choose. That plate of cookies may not be best. Look for a healthy incentive. You will be glad you did.
Happy New Year! Make it your best one yet.
All content and information are for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for the advice, diagnosis, and/or treatment by a qualified medical practitioner.
Before starting any diet or exercise regimen, check with your physician to see what’s best for you.