17 Oct Ancient Secret
If you’ve taken antibiotics, Rx prescriptions, been under stress, eaten a heavily processed diet, this is important! Studies show your gut flora are damaged up to one year after taking one round of antibiotics! Rebuilding is necessary. Enter “kombucha culture”; a great fizzy, healing drink with an ancient, weird name.
Maintaining our microbiome using cultured and fermented foods is like using compost to enrich our garden soil for an abundant healthy harvest. It’s easy to purchase high quality probiotics, but at $30+ for a 30 day supply every 30 days, it gets costly. Today, we want to show you how to culture your own probiotic drink for pennies! We need only to turn to nature’s food for the remedy.
This recipe is easy and fun! If you’ve ever tasted fancy “pricey” kombucha, you’ll want to try this at home!
Kombucha is a living health drink of fermented tea, sugar and kombucha culture. It tastes similar to sparkling apple cider or champagne, depending on the tea used. The first recorded use of kombucha comes from China in 221 BC in Tsin Dynasty, and was known as “The Tea of Immortality”, and has been used in Eastern Europe, Russia and Japan for several centuries.
Kombucha Recipe – 1-Gallon (courtesy of Kombucha Kamp)
- 1 cup sugar (use natural unrefined, organic raw cane sugar)
- 4-6 bags tea – for loose leaf, 1 bag of tea = 1 tsp
- Kombucha Starter Culture – SCOBY***
- 1 cup starter liquid***
- purified/bottled water
- tea kettle
- brewing vessel
- cloth cover
- rubber band
- Boil 4 cups water.
- Add hot water & tea bags to pot or brewing vessel.
- Steep 5-7 minutes, remove tea bags.
- Add sugar, stir.
- Fill vessel with purified water, leaving 1-2 inches from the top for breathing room with purified cold water.
- Add SCOBY, starter liquid.
- Cover with cloth cover and secure with the rubber band.
- Set in a warm location out of direct sunlight.
- Don’t disturb for 7 days.
- After 7 days sample. If too tart, reduce your brewing cycle next time. If too sweet, allow to brew for a few more days. Continue to taste every day until you like the flavor.
- Decant & flavor (optional).
- Start off with 4-8oz on empty stomach in the morning, then with meals to help digestion! Drink plenty of water as it’s a natural detoxifier.
*** Get a SCOBY from a friend who likes kombucha; or make your own SCOBY by purchasing one bottle of kombucha live tea. Reserve one cup of tea and brew one cup of strong black or green tea and ½ cup raw cane organic sugar. Let it sit for 7 days until the SCOBY forms, then brew the recipe above, adding SCOBY to your cooled tea.
Visit KombuchaKamp.com for more!