10 Oct Reversing Diabetes
You CAN reverse Type 2 Diabetes with a lifestyle of nourishing food and exercise! But wait, there is more great news…you don’t have to feel deprived, you don’t have to starve, and there are ways of exercising that are rewarding and FUN!
A ground breaking new study in Diabetologia proved that, indeed, type 2 diabetes can be reversed through diet changes, and, the study showed this can happen quickly: in 1 to 8 weeks.
First, get your doctor to test the following:
- A 75-gram glucose tolerance test measuring BOTH glucose and insulin fasting and 1 and 2 hours later. Your fasting blood sugar should be less than 100 mg/dl and your 1 and 2-hour sugar levels should be less than 130 mg/dl. Your fasting insulin should be less than 10, and your 1 and 2-hour levels should be less than 35.
- Triglycerides should be less than 150 mg/dl and HDL (good cholesterol) should be over 50 mg/dl, and the triglyceride to HDL ratio should be less than 4. These ranges are meaningful only if you are on no medication.
- Newer cholesterol tests measure the size of your cholesterol particles and are very effective in diagnosing problems with pre-diabetes early. In fact, this is the only cholesterol test we should be performing.
And here’s the program he uses for his patients to reverse diabetes:
- Eat a low glycemic load, high fiber, plant-based diet of vegetables, beans, nuts, limited whole grains, fruit and lean animal protein
- Vigorous exercise (fast walking, running, biking, etc.) 30 minutes 4-5 times a week and strength training 20 minutes 3 times a week
- Take a good multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D and blood sugar and insulin balancing nutrients (including chromium and alpha lipoic acid)
Your solution is not at the bottom of a pill bottle or the end of an insulin syringe, it is at the end of your fork and in the shoes on your feet!
To provide you with some additional encouragement, we want to share the healthy, fun recipe below.
Try This “Rise & Shine Baked Avocados” Recipe
Free-range, pastured, organic eggs are one of the best foods for you. This is a breakfast food you can eat any time of day. If you don’t like spicy foods, adjust the seasoning accordingly.
1 Hass avocado, halved
2 pastured farm eggs
½ tsp. Mexican Seasoning or equal parts organic cumin powder, garlic powder, oregano, and chili powder
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Pre-heat your oven to 425F. Place the avocado halves into a baking dish and stabilize them with a little foil if needed. Crack one egg into each empty pit of your avocado halves. You can scoop a bit of avocado out if you need more room for the egg. Add seasonings. Top with shredded cheese and pop into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Top with salsa!
Making positive changes is worth it because YOU are worth it! We’re committed to helping you work through challenges, not just manage them. We believe in healing from the inside out by finding root causes, and then nourishing and building you up. It’s not a magic pill, it’s a whole new way of living!