11 Aug Better Choices
When most people think of lunch – especially easy lunches – they often think of sandwiches. And while deli meats have often been considered a healthy lunch option, the reality is that there are much better ways to eat healthy without sacrificing flavor. Promoting healthy eating is important, and there are plenty of recipes that make it easier to do just that without the need for deli meat.
Why Deli Meat Is Worth Avoiding
Deli meat has become so ingrained in our minds that it’s hard to understand at a glance just why it’s something that most people should avoid when focusing on healthy eating and trying to improve their overall health and well-being. But taking a look at a few basic points can help you see just why it’s something to stay away from.
- Processed deli meats are created through smoking, salting, and curing when created traditionally. But modern methods rely heavily on chemical preservatives which are added to the meats to help reduce the amount of spoilage. These preservatives can make it harder to eat healthy.
- Deli meat contains high levels of sodium. In fact, one slice of lunchmeat contains about 200 to 300 mg of salt. That’s a huge amount compared to the overall size of the meat itself and as a result it can lead to increased blood pressure and other sodium related health issues.
- A recent statement from the World Health Organization states that eating processed meat like deli meat, bacon, or hot dogs could increase the risks of developing certain types of cancer – including colorectal cancer.
From increased risks of developing cancer to the increased levels of sodium and fats that deli meat brings to your diet, the fact is that cutting out deli meat is something anyone trying to eat healthy should be focusing on. While a slice here and there may not make a major difference, regularly eating these meats could impact health in a negative way.
One of the biggest reasons that deli meats have found their way into lunchboxes around the nation is simplicity and convenience. It’s fast and easy to make a sandwich and pack it for lunch. But there are plenty of other ways to get a great lunch without spending too much time preparing it.
One of the best options is a healthy Cobb Salad. These salads can be customized, created ahead of time and packed up so you can just grab and go. For the average person, they’re a perfect solution to the healthy eating conundrum. And for today’s businesses, inspiring employees to try out these Cobb Salads is something worth doing to improve the health of the workforce.
Just take a look at the basics of a healthier version of the cob salad:
- Lettuce or greens
- Nuts or seeds
- Dates, dried cranberries, apples, or berries
- Homemade healthy dressing
- Boiled egg
Those are just a few of the different ingredients that can be mixed and matched however one likes. Boiling the eggs and slicing the veggies ahead of time means that multiple salads can be packaged in a wide, shallow, sealable bowel. Then, each day, all that you need to do is grab a bowl and go.
Replacing the ham or bacon of traditional Cobb Salads with hummus and avocado makes it easier to eat healthy and avoid the health risks that deli meat can bring with it. The bottom line is that eating healthy will have a tremendous impact on one’s life and on a business’ bottom line, and it’s something that deserves a closer look. Cutting out that deli meat is a first step anyone needs to take – and something easier than most realize.