27 Mar Breakfast Prep Made Easy
Eating a healthy breakfast can be surprisingly complex. Life is busy; we work hard. Adding the burden of figuring out that first, all-important meal when you’ve got to get out the door right away can lead to a stressful start of the day. Too often, we find ourselves chowing down on unhealthy, processed breakfasts as a last-ditch effort.
Preparing meals beforehand saves time, money, and sanity. Since eggs are the perfect breakfast food, here’s a recipe for egg muffins that can be whipped together in no time at all and provides about four days worth of breakfast—with little to no fuss.
- 1 dozen eggs
- Desired veggies
- We used mushrooms, tomatoes, asparagus and garlic, also adding cilantro to the top before placing in the oven
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Chop veggies into small, nibble-sized bits
- Sautée veggies in a pan with extra virgin olive oil and garlic for about 4 minutes
- Don’t sautée for too long; the mixture will cook more in the oven
- Add salt, pepper, and other preferred seasonings
- Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat all 12 eggs
- To add some fluff to your eggs, add a tiny splash of water
- Spray/lightly oil muffin tin
- Alternately, use paper muffin cups inside tins for easy handling and simplified cleanup
- Scoop veggies into muffin tin; top off with egg mixture
- Bake 20 minutes or until eggs start to puff up
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes
After they have set, take a knife and circle each muffin tin to release the egg, and store all uneaten egg muffins in a ziplock bag in the fridge (let them cool off first). Consider storing them with a paper towel inside the ziplock bag to absorb any moisture the eggs may release. Eggs will stay good in the fridge up to four days.
When you’re ready for breakfast, microwave two muffin eggs for 45 seconds—and that’s it! You have a protein-rich, healthy breakfast; fast, easy, and delicious. Preparing a healthy breakfast in advance eliminates last-minute scrambling for a decent meal. So not only will you be getting the protein you need to get your day started strong, your morning routine will be that much simpler!
Got another recipe or other meal prep ideas you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below!