15 Apr Laugh Yourself Happy
Being sad is one thing, being depressed is another!
The news can make you cry easily at a child missing or found dead. Or your dog is killed by a car… and you mourn possibly for a couple of weeks. That’s called sadness.
When you can’t shake that dismal, dark feeling; or disconnected, hopeless lackluster outlook, that temptation to crawl into bed and pull over the covers, it’s time for help.
There’s a lot you CAN do! You never have to be a victim.
- Anxiety, apathy, general discontent, guilt, hopelessness, inability to feel pleasure, loss of interest, mood swings
- Lack of concentration, slowness in activity and thought, or thoughts of suicide
- Early awakening, excess sleepiness, insomnia, or restless sleep
- Agitation, excessive crying, irritability, or social isolation
- Excessive hunger, fatigue, loss of appetite, or restlessness
- Weight gain/loss
- Poor appetite, repeatedly going over thoughts
Being depressed isn’t normal! Depression can be serious; so seek help. Help might come in a good friend, a physician, or a counselor. You’ll know what you need.
Things You Can Do:
- MOVE! Walking, jogging, Zumba, or kickboxing; exercise has been proven to turn on happiness genes! Exercise 3-5 times a week for ½ hour. Do something you enjoy so it will bring pleasure.
- LIGHTS ON! Darkness makes you sleepy and dreary. Go outside -get some UVB light with pure sunshine at high noon. Let your skin soak in the rays and optimize your Vitamin D levels; this will help improve your outlook and mood.
- LAUGH! You might not WANT to, but watching funny movies, You Tube Videos, anything that makes you laugh WILL release oxytocin and endorphins, turning on your happy genes
- THANKFULNESS. Find something to be grateful about single day. Make a journal, get an app on your phone; practice gratitude every single day. We always have things to be grateful for, even if it doesn’t seem that way. Count your blessings!!!
- REACH OUT and touch someone. Don’t do this alone! Be a friend to someone, and allow others in. You’ll be surprised at the outcome!! Strike up a conversation with strangers, be a big brother, adopt a pet. The law of reciprocity states those who bring happiness into the lives of others will reap it for themselves.
- PRAY ask God to fill you with hope. Find hope Scriptures and sayings about joy, happiness! Paste on mirrors, windshields, computers, and coffee maker. Don’t leave home without them.
- NATURE Quiet evenings or mornings viewing a beautiful sunrise, or star filled sky take you away from your lack and increase awe. Focusing on something higher than yourself elevates; try it and experience Beauty filling your heart.
If you need professional help, don’t delay! Medical conditions make depression more pronounced. Vitamin D deficiency or hormonal imbalance can tip the scales to depression, but the fix can give you the boost you need to shift back into happiness!
TAGS: depression, beating depression