04 Apr Commit To Succeed
Obesity is Epidemic.
Obesity is common1, serious and costly.
Did you know: more than one-third (34.9% or 78.6 million) of U.S. adults are obese, and this figure is rising each year. To blame are sedentary lifestyles, advertising, convenience and fast food eating, oversized portions, and overly sweetened, packaged/processed food production.
Common: Obesity prevalence (2014) varies across states and territories.
- No state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%.
- 5 states and the District of Columbia had a prevalence of obesity between 20% and <25%.
- 23 states, Guam and Puerto Rico had a prevalence of obesity between 25% and <30%.
- 19 states had a prevalence of obesity between 30% and <35%.
- 3 states (Arkansas, Mississippi and West Virginia) had a prevalence of obesity of 35% or greater.
- The Midwest had the highest prevalence of obesity (30.7%), followed by the South (30.6%), the Northeast (27.3%), and the West (25.7%).
Serious: Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, some of the leading causes of preventable death2.
In Type 2 Diabetes, 80-90% diagnosed are also obese.
Obesity puts you at greater risk also for stroke, heart attack and coronary heart disease.
Obesity is associated with increased risks of many cancers, possibly others as well4:
- Colon and rectum
- Breast (post-menopause)
Costly: The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the U.S. was $147 billion in 2008; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight3.
“The federal government announced that overweight and obesity-conditions that affect an estimated 97 million Americans and are the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States5.”
Did you catch that powerful word…Preventable? You must know that you are the master of your own body. The steward, manager. No one or nothing can take control of your choices but you. You alone! Weight must be managed for optimal health; disease can be prevented and reversed as you take control your weight!
Three things you must know:
- You MUST Take Action
- You MUST be 100% Committed to that Action
- You MUST not give up until you have achieved success!
It doesn’t matter that you have tried before, and failed.
It doesn’t matter that you feel incapable or powerless.
It doesn’t matter if no one is supporting you.
Believe….all things are possible! Take a deep breath and say……I can. Yes, I can! Yes, yes, surely I CAN LOSE weight! And I’ll begin….right now. Making the commitment is the first step. Now that you’ve taken it, even your brain and your heart are responding deep inside you and echoing these truths. Your life, health and the happiness of your family is depending upon you taking this first step!
Did you say those words? Make an appointment today to speak with your wellness coach!
TAGS: weight management, obesity, cause of disease