24 Mar Preventing Type 2 Diabetes
Of all the cases of Diabetes, 90-95% are Type 2 Diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is completely preventable and virtually 100 percent reversible1, only by implementing simple, inexpensive lifestyle changes. That is VERY GOOD NEWS! Here’s some things you can do right now to make sure if you are pre-diabetic, have high glucose readings or metabolic syndrome, that you do not develop Type 2 Diabetes!!!
The power to change your health is entirely in your own hands, and your own decisions! Randomized meta-analysis of 13 controlled trial studies3 involving more than 33,000 people showed have shown that standard diabetic drugs can be dangerous at worst and ineffective at best, but with behavior modification and employing these tips the effectiveness at prevention of Type 2 diabetes and treatment for it is well within reach for most people.
- Eliminate from your diet fructose and high-fructose corn syrup (HSCS), which is much more detrimental than any other type of sugar. Drinking just one sweetened drink a day can raise your diabetes risk by 25 percent compared to drinking one sugary drink per month, so you really need to evaluate your diet and look for hidden sources of sugar and fructose.
- Keeping your total fructose consumption below 25 grams per day. However, it would be wise for most people to limit fructose to 15 grams or less, as it is virtually guaranteed you will be getting “hidden” sources of fructose from just about any processed food you eat.
Avoid most processed foods of all kinds, as they are loaded with fructose. You especially need to stay away from processed meats which, along with added sodium, have sugar in them to make them palatable. You may also even need to avoid fruits until your blood sugar is under control.
- Nearly all type 2 diabetics need to swap out their grains and sugars for other foods, such as protein, green veggies, and healthy sources of fat.
- Exercise 30 minutes a day 5 days per week. Pick something you like to do which makes you feel good so you can stick with the program. This is one of the fastest ways to lower blood glucose levels; burn them off!
- Increase your sun exposure! Believe it or not, this has powerful effects on your blood sugar and can be helpful in the treatment and prevention in diabetes. Not only will it feel good, be relaxing, and de-stress even the tightest-wound individual, it will also increase your Vitamin D levels which will also aid in many other health benefits as well! We’ll post more on the health effects of Vitamin D in upcoming issues.
TAGS: diabetes, prevention, pre-diabetes